Tuesday, June 2, 2009

La Cucarachas and the Quest for Real Milk

Today was my second day of school at the University Rey Juan Carlos in Madrid.  I am taking Spanish Composition, Spanish Conversation and a Women's Study class.  All my teachers are great and very helpful, especially the Spanish teachers who have to put up with our lack of speaking skills.

The biggest news is that we have cockroaches in our apartment that have seemed to get bigger since the first day we saw them and have been procreating.  I kid you not I saw a mom with her baby.  I wasn't too bothered at first, I mean we are keeping our food in safe places, but it wasn't until I woke up one morning to use the restroom and I saw a few crawling on the wall where my bed is, that I lost it.  My roommates and I have made complaints to our landlord and housing coordinator at the University and they are in the process of cleaning and disinfecting.  I looked up characteristics of cockroaches online, and one site said they could enjoy nibbling on ears, once I read that my roommate had enough and ever since is worried about her ears.  

Its nice to have a schedule now that we started school.  We leave for the metro around 7:30 am, change twice and arrive at the university around 8:30.  Class starts at 9 until 12:30 and again a 1:50-3:30.  I am going to have a significant amount of homework every night but I will be completing 7 credits in a month that will be most helpful for graduating in December.

Over the weekend we had a great time, and literally walked for about 10 hours each day.  We saw so much in two days and have barely scratched the surface.  I have fallen in LOVE with Plaza Mayor (a huge plaza in central Madrid with cafes, vendors and beautiful architecture) and Retiro park which is like the central park of Madrid.  Im looking forward to spending time in each to do homework and read.  The spaniards have been very nice (except for one waiter) and most of the students are helpful...they can pick out us Americans from a mile away.  

I am the oldest of the group of students I am with so its a little disconnecting. Im pretty sure most of them think Im weird because I haven't talked that much.  But most of the time I am just absorbing everything that is happening around me that I get lost everything.  Besides, its hard for me to explain why Im here in Madrid, I think its very personal, only because Im here for me...and not to party or meet Spaniards.  Im not even worried about not having all day long to sight see, its nice to have a schedule and just do my own thing.  Anyway, I have made some nice friends so far, and my roommates are good fun so everything is good.

My Spanish is getting better and better everyday, and words keep coming back to me.  Although, I tend to sometimes mix the Greek words I know with the Spanish I am trying to say...for example...I wanted some juice and I said jimon instead of zumo and almost ordered coffee with turkey instead of coffee with ice.  For the most part, I think I have been pretty understandable and able to communicate.

So food wise, I have tried so far a lot of great cured ham, and tried paella that I was disappointed with.  My diet has consisted of a lot of ham and cheese in all sorts of forms (thank god for the great cheese) and delicious ice cream that reminds me of Greece.  We have not stopped for real tapas yet but we plan on doing it this week.  And my quest for real milk is because most stores here don't have refrigerated milk...its usually in a box sitting on a shelf.  I need milk for my cereal so I am going to the equivalent of the spanish walmart today to find some...we'll see how that goes.

The metro is super easy and typically safe, pickpockets are a little easy to spot and as we have learned they are not super threatening and just want some cash.  I have the benefit of blending in here better than my on the whiter side friends here, so its nice to feel like Im not sticking out.  Spaniards seem to be simple people, much like the Greeks, with a love for food and good conversation.  Plus they are very affectionate, I can't tell you the amount of make-out sessions I have seen in public.    

This week I plan to attend a ballet and some opera, we are also on a quest for a good flamenco restaurant with dancing.  Im sooooo excited!

My flickr account is acting slow, so i will post pictures soon, Ill post the link here on blogspot.


No comments:

Post a Comment