Tuesday, June 9, 2009

When a Foreign Language Turns on You

In Spain, Spaniards refer to jokes or jokes that are longer stories, as chistes.  For my conversation class we were supposed to find some to repeat in class.  I looked online for mine and found one that was cute about a parrot and another that I thought was funny...being what I thought it meant.  So I told it in class and got a shocked look from my teacher...I mean she chuckled but definitely looked at me weird.  So I told her I thought it meant something to do with the heart being stomped on, and lo and behold it was some kind of reference to sex that I was completely oblivious to.  Not to mention, from what I gathered it was pretty explicit...and she mentioned that it was something that Spaniard boys tell one another.  Im pretty sure it was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life, especially as I got a weird look from a classmate, but thank God my teacher is really nice and laid back and said "No te preocupes" "Don't worry about it" when I repeatedly said how sorry I was.

After I went and told one of the USAC directors and she laughed so hard and gave me some new phrases I should use carefully:

Me embarazado, one would think it means Im embarrassed but it really means I am pregnant.
Me constipado, we would think I am constipated, but it really means I have sinus congestion.

Ahh the joys of learning a foreign language!!!

Tomorrow, I get to meet Beatriz, who is an intercambio through the USAC program.  USAC sets up the American students with Spaniards so we can practice Spanish and English.  I am looking forward to meeting her as I talked to her on Skype before I had left the country.

Tonight is the ballet! I am sooooo excited!

Besos

No comments:

Post a Comment